Thursday, September 26, 2013

Adding Metaphors, Connotations, and Dennotations to your Poem

1.) http://ed.ted.com/lessons/jane-hirshfield-the-art-of-the-metaphor

2.) After viewing this video about creating meaningful Metaphors in your writing, look back at your Emotions Poem.  Try to infuse better metaphors to describe what you were feeling in that moment.

3.) Also while writing your poem today, consider Connotations.  Connotations are what emotions come to mind when the reader reads your poem. 

Example:  I am sick with fear.   What does the word "fear" make you think of? To me, it reminds me of something scary, like a movie, witches, ghosts, or Halloween.

So keeping this in mind- I think I'll change the sentence to I am sick with dread.     "Dread" seems like a better word choice for me in my poem because it makes me feel like something is looming overhead...  I might even go further to add more figurative language to create the mood like, "There was a dark cloud hanging over my head." 

I also purposefully used the word sick in the statement above to connote the feeling of actual sickness.  I want the reader to know how bad I was feeling at that moment.

4.) Work on the final draft of your poem.  It's due Monday, which is also our day for the Gallery Walk!  If you wish to type the poem, you must print it out at home.  We do not have a printer in class.  However, a very clean, hand-written copy is just as nice :)

For more about connotations click here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfiSFij6SR8

No comments:

Post a Comment